Sunday, April 17, 2011

Soda Tabs.



This is a personal project of mine. Well, obviously I didn't start the R&M house, but it's been something I've been working on all year. I save all of my soda tabs and then make them into bracelets. I even put collection boxes by the recycling bins in the dorm halls.




Here is the deal:

1 pop tab is 1 inch long
1,267 pop tabs make one pound
1 pound of aluminum can be sold for 40 cents.

For now, I'm just making bracelets for fun. Some of my friends wear them around and people ask them about it and then ask if they can have me make them one. They aren't hard to make, there are tons of youtube videos showing you how to do different styles. Here is the one I learned on:




I figure that If I start selling them for a dollar around my campus then I can donate more money to the Ronald McDonald house. For more information click here so maybe you can help out too :)

By the way, this is a GREAT class project for elementary school kids. Collecting tabs teaches them recycling, charity, and responsibility. Some classes even make this into a friendly inter-grade competition to see who can collect the most by pound. However you do it, it helps kids everywhere!


Lou

2 comments:

  1. wow! to be honest - I collect them too. but I didn't know it's possible to make something so pretty and cool from them. I have like a whole bowl of them. Now I definitely know what to do with them :D
    thanks ;D

    btw-thanks for your comment. I really like your blog too :)

    have a nice day.
    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous bracelets and blog :)

    I'm following.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete