Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes & Best Friends Forever.

I'm taking a class called Literature for Young Adults & Adolescents. I'm an English Major at a state university of PA, one known for producing great teachers after they're through with them. My secondary English Education major is one of the biggest programs at my school (if not the biggest). So when my YAL professor is also head of the sec. English ed. department I tend to take every word she says seriously. Recently we've read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne.

I'll admit that I skipped quite a few chapters in the latter book because the style it was written in was just not doing it for me.

Now, at the end of the semester, she gave us literature options. When we choose these books, we get assigned a group and do a very involved project. It involves a poster, a powerpoint, a book trailer, and 2 classroom ready activities.

I'm nervous to do this project because me and my best friend are in the same group and we're already butting heads about how to get things done. It's in both of our natures to be the "leader" in group projects because we're both studying to one day become teachers. We interrupt each other, we try and assign things, and I'll admit that I was annoyed with her when she started to write out a schedule for everyone that was convenient for her. Maybe it's the fact that we're too close to be working together but it probably has more to do with that we both want to out-do each other in everything "English". Do you know those people that constantly ask you what you got on your test so they can nonchalantly say "...oh, I just got a 95 on that...", or those who constantly compare OTHERS to THEMSELVES, as if they are the standard of living? Well, that's how I feel about my best friend. Some people are just not meant to work together -- hopefully she's not my boss one day cause I would lose it.

After some wrangling it was decided that I would make the book trailer due to my fantabulous macbook pro's imovie.

The book we were assigned was Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. I researched the book before I chose it. The reviews were just fantastic and even the movie seemed awesome. The main plot is about an old woman reviewing her life tale to her friend; it's about love and laughter... the occasional murder. Here is the movie trailer I found on youtube:





I suppose in the end that it doesn't matter whose in your project as long as everything gets done. The book seems really wonderful and I can't wait to read it. Now I got it from amazon today... and it has to be read by tuesday... let's get started.

Lou

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I was poked on twitter to come and see your blog and I'm so glad I did! I hate group assignments, they always want to make me curl up in a ball and ignore the world...

    I hear that Fried Green Tomatoes is great, happy reading! :D (I'm a new follower too :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh group work...the one thing I really, REALLY hated in college. I actually hadn't even heard of Fried Green Tomatoes, but now I'm gonna have to add it to my to-read list! Also Kathy Bates!!! Love her.

    ReplyDelete